Start a new topic

Sharing Collections with Collegues

Hello, 

I wish to create a set of collections and then share them on other computers. 

Is this possible? Or maybe using another feature to create like a private library containing set of collections. 

Thanks, 

Mel

1 Comment

Hi Mel,

Doug Ross replied to your tick so I'll paste his response on this forum so others can see it.

As of right now, Collection data is stored in a general database file along with a lot of other user-specific information and cannot be separated from that other data. In effect, this means that Collections cannot be shared unless everyone is willing to work with a bunch of other settings that may work for some but not for others. For years (at least 10), I've been advocating the extraction of Collections from the general database file so the data can be shared but as of yet, it hasn't happened (though I've been told, also for years, that it will happen someday). Furthermore, Collections don't really work as well as one might hope and are a bit restrictive when it comes to luminaire labels and descriptions. For all these reasons (and others), I would steer clear of Collections in favor of another solution.

Instead of using Collections, I recommend saving a bunch of AGI files containing nothing more than defined luminaires, a group of AGI files that are accessible by everyone. If you can find a way to group fixtures that you use by type, manufacturer, use, or some other parameter, define each set of fixtures then save the different AGI files with names telling what group of fixtures they contain. Each file should ONLY contain defined luminaires; the model itself should be completely void of any placed luminaires and everything else. It is also important to try and limit the number of defined luminaires in any 1 AGI file to 10 (if possible) or at the outside, 25. If you have these files saved in a place where people can access them, they can then start a new AGi32 project and IMPORT the AGI files containing the luminaires they wish to use in the current project. Equally as important is to delete the imported, defined luminaires that won't be used in the current Project. IN other words, not only should the "template" AGI files containing the luminaires to import into other models be restricted to a low number of defined luminaires but each project file should also be restricted to the number of luminaire definitions it contains and there is rarely a need to have more than 10 to 25 luminaires in any project file. The lower the number of defined luminaires in the "template" files, the lower the number of luminaire definitions that will need to be deleted after importing 1 or more of the "template" files into any given AGI project file. Whatever the case, importing luminaire definitions from one AGI file into another will allow ALL the information associated with the defined luminaires to come into the new project file without any need for alterations to the luminaire definitions.

The only thing to track is whether an updated IES file is available from the manufacturer or the produce referenced by the IES file being used is no longer available. Unfortunately, there is no way to automate this and it will be something that will need to be manually checked from time to time. If there is a new IES file available, it should be brought into the "template" file containing the older luminaire definition and used to define a new luminaire. The old luminaire definition should then be deleted and the "template" file should then be saved, overwriting the old "template" file, so the new luminaire definition will be available to anyone importing the "template" file into their project.

I want to reiterate that it is important that these "template" files are left in a pristine condition (unless a defined luminaire needs to be updated or deleted from them) and that they are imported into other project files rather than being opened and used as project files. One can open one of the "template" files then immediately save it with a different name and that file could then be edited and become the project file but if people get in the habit of using this workflow, inevitably one or more of the "template" files will end up "disappearing" or containing data from some project.

I hope this helps and gives you the information you need to provide everyone with a means to access defined luminaires for many if not all their projects.
Login or Signup to post a comment