Start a new topic

Features and improvements

Hey here is some list of ideas that could improve the software

but if anyone has any comments on something i am doing wrong that could improve with something that would be great to hear

-Push all the calculations on to the GPU of the computer faster turn around times

-After you import the background image you can re scale to fine tune the measurement

-Have the lighting standard recommendations option for each room so who what levels you are shooting for to see if you hit these levels

-Single Room calculations of large scale projects

-to make heat maps transparent to allow seeing the background image a little on a PDF

-Background images to see though on a render currently it is possible but not the best 

-moving fixtures around seems buggy and its hard to placement with the currently method also relocating fixtures is the same

1 Comment

I won't comment on some of these, as they're best handled by Lighting Analysts, but a couple of things that might help you in the interim:

• I haven't used background images in a while, and I think there has been some improvements since it was first implemented, but I know that you can re-scale within the Background Images dialog box. However, I agree, being able to do the same sort of thing you can do in AutoCAD or Adobe Acrobat where you can re-set your scale off a known length within the model space would be great.
  • For the Single Room calcs, that doesn't exactly fit within how AGi32 is currently designed. I tend to think of it as a big sandbox - it allows a huge amount of freedom in what you do, but elements of the program are essentially 'dumb'. Rooms are an example - whilst we might think of them as containing objects and luminaires and other similar elements, AGi32 doesn't associate a luminaire with a 'Room', even if it's placed there via the Room Estimator export. That might seem silly to some, but given that light can pass through room openings, and even through Room Walls (if you have them flipped around), the environment beyond a room can still both affect and be affected by luminaires and objects and surfaces within that room. Whilst I don't do it all the time, there have been numerous real-world problems I've tackled by joining multiple rooms and objects together and cutting apertures, etc. to make things work as the model required. That flexibility comes at a price, as the concept of a 'room' blurs at that point. However, if you have large scale projects, I've found the sanest way to proceed is to utilise 'Projects'. If I have an school, for instance, I set up a project for each room I'm going to model, and 'freeze' the project that wraps each room/calc/luminaire set once I've done the necessary calculation. Freezing a project allows it to remain visible but it no longer appears in the Render window and no longer participates in calculations. It isn't without its pitfalls - for instance if you later find you need to change a luminaire definition and it's in Frozen projects you can't do so (for good reason), so you then have to unFreeze those projects and then recalculate each. Note also that the practise of having lots and lots of rooms all in a total calculation loses accuracy. Perhaps not by a meaningful amount, but it's true nonetheless, and can be enough to falsely tip you above or below a Light Technical Parameter (such as lux level or uniformity) target that you're aiming for. I can explain more if you're not sure what I'm talking about.
  • Not sure what issues you're having with moving & relocating fixtures. The only one I have issues with is the way relative movement happens, but I haven't used it in a while and I think there may have been some fixes.

Login or Signup to post a comment