Start a new topic

Sloped Luminaires Along Line

I don't know if I overlooked this or not, but if it is possible to array luminaires to a line and select the starting and ending heights of each while selecting distance or quantity, I would love to see this added.

This would allow the user to have a sloped set of luminaires (not all at a single mount height) and have them angled appropriately along the line. I have some clients decorating with varying lengths of tape light. One instance of tape may start 3in AFF and work it's way up a curved wall and stop about 4ft AFF.

The only way I know to place these sections now is to find out where each segment starts and stops lay them all out flat, then determine how many luminaire sections are needed, then divide the number of luminaires by the total height to get the change in height between each section, then change all of their slopes so they follow the line and finally raise them each up individually to the correct heights. Phew!

Time consuming and a shot to the nerves if you skip a single segment in a long array. Let's just hope they don't overlap on a wall somewhere. This would just add to the frustration because now you have overlap making selecting the correct segment that much harder.

Unfortunately, nothing I do with these options seems to get even close to the desired result. All attempts keep all of the luminaires on a single mount height.

Here is one of my simple lines that I am drawing.

I am trying to just get a straight run of 52 feet with foot long fixtures to start at 3 feet AFF and end at 0.25 ft AFF. This is theoretically very simple. (Let's forget about following all my curved sections for now.)

My process as of right now:

The difference between 3 and 0.25 is 2.75ft.

Dividing 2.75ft by 52ft gives me an increment of 0.05288 ft between each section. (We can round to 0.05 for simplicity)

Now I am going to change each one manually in the z-coordinates by 0.05.

The only benefit I have right now in this example is I can organize the luminaires in the Edit Luminaires section by x or y coordinates, but it won't be that easy with curved walls...

If this is a function that could be added, it would be a matter of selecting the coordinate (X, and Y) AND specifying the mount height (Z) at beginning point and end point. It seems most of the functions only give an option of a single z-coordinate, which is why we only get flat runs of fixtures instead of moving with a slope like my example.

I appreciate the help though. If you see an easier way to do this, I'd love to know how you did it.

Thank you again.

You can do this with 'Array Luminaires...>Array Along Line...', using the 'Dynamic' height function such as:

but it's still probably difficult depending on the curves and other issues you could get with some architecture and also depending on how your tape light photometry is set up.

One observation with 'tape light' is that in most applications it's not so much a luminaire as it is an accent light. If you're looking just for an effect for a render rather than actual illumination on a workplane, you could probably save yourself some pain on complex projects by actually creating an object (perhaps modelled in SketchUp) or using surfaces inside a cove, and applying luminance to that object or those surfaces. As long as you get the amount of luminance right it'll create a nice 'glow' effect and you'd probably find it better in many ways.

Hi Lou,

I love the insight. (and your name... haha). I may be wrong, but doesn't this just lay the luminaire along the line at a single mounting height?

I am proposing giving the mount height of the first and the last luminaires and having AGI adjust the mount heights of each luminaire in between at uniform height increments. That way I don't have to change the heights individually (and hopefully select and change each one correctly).

:)

Not having tried to do what you were doing before I experimented before I replied to make sure I was correct. I created a line with a start, finish and 3 non-linear 'corner' points along the way, and each one with a different height. The fixtures were placed on each line at varying (equidistant) heights between the start and end point of each linear element. The issue was that I had to enter each point as an X,Y,Z cartesian coordinate, as there was no ability to change the height (some mouse-click processes in AGi32 allow you to enter a height value in the bottom right hand 'Z' value box, but this wasn't one of them).

Try it out.

There are other related options in that dialog box. If you pre-draw the lines (or there are existing lines) that have differing heights at the start and finish, you can probably select them and have AGi32 place luminaires on that line or offset from them. Even if you don't get it 100% working the way you need it to, you might find that you can get it close enough in the first pass and then do some minor tweaking to fix it.

Login or Signup to post a comment