Start a new topic

Room Height Dimensions

Maybe I missed this early on in my AGI32 training, but why can't the dimension for room heights be input using feet and inches (9'-6" in lieu of 9.5 ft).  Have I missed a basic setting somewhere when setting up a project where the type of input used can be changed?

In System Settings (either the icon with the grey circle inside a grey circle, or Tools>System Settings...), under the 'Units/Precision' tab there is an option to either select 'Feet', 'Feet and Inches' or 'Meters' (sic) in the 'Display Units' group box.

1 person likes this

Lou, thank you so much...the time I save with this information will really start piling up next to my desk now!!!

1 person likes this

My pleasure. Just let me know where to send my invoice...

:)

To follow that up...what format does AGi take when specifying feet and inches? Because the support documentation I read said:

Indicates that each drawing unit equals 1 foot. Lengths less than 1 foot are specified in decimals, although inches are displayed on screen.

Which is useless to me if I still have to convert to decimal, and it only shows as inches??

I have this little cheat sheet printed out by my machine for when I need to convert inches to decimal.  It's not all-inclusive, but it gets me close most of the time.

.5" = .042

1" = .083

1.5" = .125

2" = .167

2.5" = .208

3" = .250

3.5" = .292

4" = .333

4.5" = .375

5" = .417

5.5" = .458

6" = .500

6.5" = .542

7" = .583

7.5" = .625

8" = .667

8.5" = .708

9" = .750

9.5" = .792

10" = .833

10.5" = .875

11" = .917

11.5"  = .958

Holy cow! The insanity of retaining the Imperial system knows no end, does it?

One of the interesting aspects of AGi32 is the concept of importing CAD files in cubits (don't believe me? check it out in your Import CAD dialog box - as at v18.3 you can still specify the original file as being feet/inches/metres/centimetres/millimetres/cubits). As if the Imperial system wasn't archaic enough, Wikipedia has this to say about cubits:

The cubit is an ancient unit based on the forearm length from the tip of the middle finger to the bottom of the elbow. Cubits of various lengths were employed in many parts of the world in antiquity, during the Middle Ages and as recently as Early Modern Times.

Now, I can understand an hand drawn plan perhaps being in cubits, but the anachronism of using a modern computer and a CAD program, in a world where most places have gone metric, and someone still dimensioning a structure in cubits - it beggars belief!

Imagine a large ship sinking.  Everyone gets off the sinking ship safely except for one person who gets trapped under a lifeboat that's still strapped to the ship.  Now, thankfully, the lifeboat was upside-down, so it trapped an air bubble, which allows him to breathe.

Now imagine this person is swearing up and down that their air pocket is fine.  It's letting them breathe, so they doesn't need to swim to the surface. 

Technically, the person is correct.  It's uncomfortable, and really doesn't make much sense, but they are able to continue breathing in that little bubble of air under that one lifeboat.  Even though everyone else is up at the surface, breathing normally.

That's pretty much how it is with the US and the Imperial system.  Technically, it works.  It just doesn't make sense.  And if we would just deal with the temporary difficulty of swimming up to where everyone else is, things would be much easier.

That's my take, anyway.

<chuckle>, it is just silly coder humor.

As for the inches thing, AGi32 does not do a super job at this as you have noticed...

Contrary to popular belief, the USA isn't one of the last three holdout countries to switch to metric - Australians still hang on to some elements through force of habit or easier phrasing (you'll occasionally hear people here mention miles per gallon, but you'll never hear someone talk about kilometres per litre, and I used to in the past get a lot of room dimensions given to me as things like "It's a 12m x 7m room, with a 9' ceiling").

Login or Signup to post a comment