Start a new topic

Road Lighting Design Calculation Summary

Dear Support,

For Australian road lighting (Major Roads) we require varying rations for uniformity - Minimum to Average (overall luminance uniformity), Minimum to Maximum (longitudinal luminance uniformity) and Maximum to Minimum (illuminance uniformity) for major roads specified locations and for certain projects if minor roadways are in the road lighting analysis calculation field we also require Average to Minimum (illuminance). 

It would be extremely useful to be able to choose any of the various options for the relevant luminance or illuminance or any numerical analysis without switching units in the system settings. 

Thanks for your support.

Ron Nixon

I'm not certain that AGi32 can actually comply with Cat V for AS1158 anyhow - I think you've got to use Perfect Lite for that.

I'm pretty sure there's an aspect of the Standard that AGi32 doesn't return any meaningful analysis of - if I recall correctly it was Threshold Increment, but don't quote me on that.

Dear Lou,

We have areas of compliance with Australian road lighting Standard AS/NZS1158 for which we can very effectively utilise AGI32 and areas which we understand are not exactly in accordance with its requirements. Being able to have access to all ratios and variations would be extremely useful as we have standards that vary for example Ave:Min, CASA Mos 139, Max:Min for  illuminance based calculations for major road intersections and specified locations. Min:Max and Min:Ave for interior lighting AS/NZS1680 series, Max:Ave for minor road lighting and public spaces. I could go on, however, the main reason for the request is because we have projects that are mixed through a number of these areas and require different ratio combinations all in the same project..

We mainly use Perfect Lite for generating spacing tables for luminance compliance and all the rest of the serious work is done in AGI32.

Thanks for your consideration.

No, I get it - I'm in Australia myself - you're probably mistaken in thinking I'm working with Lighting Analysts.

I work with the same sets of metrics that you're noting, including the CASA stuff for aprons and the like - what I'm driving with the CAT V stuff is that AGi32 can't give you a result, and once Perfect Lite does you can just go straight to design rules for luminaire locations.

You should find that you can set your standard Numerical Ratios to 'Min/Avg, Min/Max', and that should give you Min/Avg (for AS1680), Min/Max (for TV sports) and Max/Avg (for AS1158 P category).

Admittedly, I tend to do Cat V stuff only once every few years (it doesn't tend to come up in our work), but as mentioned above I don't think AGi32 produces meaningful results for Cat V. I'm aware that lots of people get their spacings for Cat V and/or Cat P designs, then place fixtures in AGi32 and do an additional calculation, but in most of these instances that calculation is redundant in terms of proving compliance.

All that being said, I certainly don't see what's wrong with being able to nominate the direction of the numerical ratios when you're specifying a calc grid, rather than having to go and set it globally in the System Settings, so I'd back your request anyhow.

Oops. I meant to add a post to this one, as I later realised that although I have no issues with having to bounce back and forth between Numerical Ratio setups, that's because for the apron lighting work I do I've created a template project that I use for those designs - it's already configured to display the metrics I need.

Again, it would certainly be preferable if the users could nominate the required metrics at grid specification time.

Login or Signup to post a comment